This is going to be a series of posts describing briefly about something which turned my life upside down for few weeks. I am still in the process, as of now. Django upgrade teaches you a lot of things and when you are updating from a very old version to relatively newer one, it kills you, literally. You are up for an extremely bumpy ride that you will remember for a very very long time.
The first and the most difficult part is to upgrade the Django Rest Framework. I did not think this one was going to be such a biggie. We were on DRF 2.3.13 and without thinking a lot I took it to 3.4.0 and that was the first mistake that I did. All the test cases failed miserably and I started fixing them one by one. Some of them seemed self-explanatory and there were some issues which even Google failed to help. I struggled with these errors and they wasted 2 days. When nothing moved, I decided to move it to 3.0.5 first and then taking it to the other versions.
LESSON LEARNT – When upgrading a library, take it to just one major version above it and we must read the changelog carefully.
Upgrading to DRF 3.0.5 was relatively easier. There were some serializer issues which were mostly straightforward. And there were few deprecations as well. Then I took it to 3.1.1 which did not throw any extra error. Then upgraded to 3.2.1 and then to 3.3.1 and finally to 3.4.5. Meanwhile, I had upgraded Django to 1.8 which I shall discuss in the next post.
Some of the errors which frequently showed up are as below.
NotImplementedError: `request.QUERY_PARAMS` has been deprecated in favor of `request.query_params` since version 3.0,
and has been fully removed as of version 3.2.
For the above one change QUERY_PARAMS to query_params. Simple googling can help here.
NotImplementedError: Field.to_representation() must be implemented for field id.
If you do not need to support write operations you probably want to subclass `ReadOnlyField` instead.
This is one of the basic changes that you have to do. This one is basically asking you to change to:
order_id = serializers.Field(source='pk') # older
order_id = serializers.ReadOnlyField(source='pk') # newer
AssertionError: It is redundant to specify `source='discount_amount'` on field 'Field' in serializer 'OrderListSerializer',
because it is the same as the field name. Remove the `source` keyword argument.
This error comes when in any of the fields of the serializer, you have the field name same as the source name.
discount_amount = serializers.ReadOnlyField(source='discount_amount') # older
discounted_amount = serializers.ReadOnlyField(source='discount_amount') # newer
Also, please take those serializers very seriously which take a list to serialize. The parameter many=True solves so many issues around them.
Some of the other issue which appeared, and I am sorry to have forgotten how they were fixed, are as below. I am sure, if you are this far, you will find them very easy to fix.
AttributeError: Got AttributeError when attempting to get a value for field `product` on serializer `ProductListSerializer`.
The serializer field might be named incorrectly and not match any attribute or key on the `RelatedManager` instance.
Original exception text was: 'RelatedManager' object has no attribute 'product'
AttributeError: 'RelatedManager' object has no attribute
AttributeError: 'QuerySet' object has no attribute 'user'
Other changes include:
- The earlier implementation where you had to define one custom to_native method has been changed to to_representation
def to_native(self, value):
def to_representation(self, instance):
- The library djangorestframework-xml had to be included as the default XML renderer was not working. I used version 1.3.0.
This is what I mostly remember. Try to be patient with the update as it has to be a disturbing thing. I am happily on DRF version 3.4.5. Next article will be on Django upgrade from 1.6 to 1.8.